Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Europes largest wind farm starts construction

It is great to see that work has started on Europes largest wind farm. The project will take three years to complete and will generate 322 megawatts of electricity - enough to power 200,000 homes.

I am a great fan of wind power. The picture to the left is of the Ecotricity Wind Turbine at Green Park, Reading adjacent to the M4.

I drive past this one a couple of times a day and I have to say I think it is beautiful. The more the merrier I say and they claim that the scottish scheme will save 250,000 tonnes of harmful CO2 every year.

2 comments:

Tony Ferguson said...

Thanks for that -= a very useful article. I was particluarly interested in the thought that "we could never rely on wind turbines alone to provide for all our electricity needs. But there are storage technologies we can use, such as pumped storage hydro power schemes, where water is pumped and stored in an up-hill reservoir, thus acting like large batteries for the electricity system." Sounds a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thank you as well for the article. I feel we should be using more wind and solar energy too. I am still crossing my fingrs that they will loosen the planning restrictions here so I can at least partially convert to wind power.
( We have more wind than sun I think ) .