Saturday, April 08, 2006

Wikimeme

Having seen this meme via various people who have posted and who feed into Lib Dem Blogs (http://www.libdemblogs.co.uk/) I couldn't resist - You type in your birth date (but not year) and it then comes up with a whole host of events that happened on your birthday.

My list includes the following :

Events

490 BC - Athens defeats Persia at the Battle of Marathon

1609 - Henry Hudson discovers the Hudson River.

1953 - Nikita Khrushchev is elected first secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

1953 - John F. Kennedy marries Jackie Bouvier.

1962 - President John F. Kennedy declares the USA will get a man on the moon, and bring him back, by the end of the decade.

Births

1913 - Jesse Owens, American athlete (d. 1980)

1951 - Bertie Ahern, Irish politician

Deaths

1977 - Steve Biko, South African anti-apartheid activist (b. 1946)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot one.

1961 - JFK sends American military advisers to South Viet Nam - The number of which continued to grow with America's involvement in the country. Kennedy explained the need for US involvement using "the domino theory."

Just for a bit of balance.

Charles said...

In doing this meme I learned that one of my favorite NFL players shares my birthday.

I found it interesting. I didn't even know wikipedia had that ability.

Tony Ferguson said...

allan sorry but I checked and that one does not come up under the listings for my birthday

Anonymous said...

rather cool! nice blog...