Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Details Political Introduction

I was first elected onto Newbury District Council in 1992 and was re-elected on three further occasions before standing down in 2003. Post held include : Deputy Leader 1995 to 1997, Chair of Ruling Group 2001 to 2003, Chair of Public Protection Committee 1996 to 1998, Executive Member for Public Protection and Waste 2001 to 2003. I was Chair of Newbury Constituency during the by-election in 1993. I have stood for Parliament at each of the last three elections. From 1992 I was involved in efforts to return the former Greenham Common Airbase to public use. I took part along with others in meetings which led to the establishment of the Greenham Common Trust. From 1999 to 2002 I was the Chairman of Greenham Committee which was responsible for drafting the Greenham and Crookham Common Act which the council was promoting through Parliament. The bill received Royal Assent in May 2002. I am currently Chairman of the Greenham and Crookham Common Commission which was set up by the Act of Parliament to oversee the management of the common. I am also a Director of New Greenham Park Ltd which runs the business park on behalf of the Greenham Common Trust.

No comments: